Thursday, January 16, 2014

Peanut Butter & Vanilla Cookies

If you're looking to make an easy sweet treat, these Peanut Butter Vanilla coated cookies are perfect.

I made these as a baby shower party favor and they're always a big hit for anyone who loves peanut butter.

We grew up making these and got the original recipe from my Mom's best friend Jan, who's from Kansas and refers to them as her Kansas Cookies.  As the story goes, all her relatives back in Kansas make these!

There are only three simple INGREDIENTS:
  • Creamy Peanut Butter
  • Ritz crackers
  • CandiQuik - Vanilla flavor (Chocolate type coating)
I like CandiQuik Vanilla as a coating because it's simple to melt, easy to work with and not as rich as white chocolate.  You can substitute white chocolate or other almond bark coatings if preferred, but I can always find CandiQuik here, at Stater Bros Markets and I also heard it's available at Target.
First cover a tray with wax paper and set aside.  To make the cookies, I start by spreading a generous portion of creamy peanut butter on a Ritz cracker.  It tastes best to coat generously because who doesn't LOVE peanut butter!
I add a second Ritz cracker on top of the peanut butter...
...to make a Ritz sandwich.
I make all my Ritz sandwiches in bulk before coating them.
 
Making these cookies in stages goes faster and the coating process is all about timing.  So once I have all my crackers done, I melt the CandiQuik.  Be sure to follow the melting instructions exactly as noted on the package.  Melt in the cardboard tray provided in the package or I prefer a small deeper microwave safe dish (it's easier to have some depth with the melted coated for dipping).  Start by melting for 60 seconds in the microwave.  Take out and stir.  Microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring every 30 seconds until just melted consistency.  It usually takes me a total of 2 minutes (first 60 seconds, plus two 30-second additional meltings), but time could vary depending on your microwave.
Once the vanilla CandiQuik is melted, I use tongs and dip the Ritz cracker sandwiches in and submerge, to fully coat them.  After quickly dipping them, I use a big spoon to coat all sides if there is any Ritz cracker showing.  I let the excess coating drip back into the container as I like a thinner layer of coating.  Place the coated cookie sandwich on the wax paper covered tray to set.  They should be dry in 5-10 minutes.  Work quickly as the coating thickens shortly, but can easily be reheated for 30 seconds more.
That's it!  Very simple.
They're great to eat and won't last long.  Because of the smooth white colored vanilla coating, I often use them for either bridal or baby shower party favors.  I wrap in a small cellophane bag with tied ribbon.  You can always add an embellishment, and your guests will all want the recipe!





1 comment:

Janet said...

I love these Betty. I made them for a bridal shower, and they were a great hit!! Also love your painted nails, so pretty. Thanks for recipe.

Post a Comment