Saturday, June 7, 2014

Garden Box for Herbs & Vegetables

We recently cleaned up our backyard planters and I have always wanted to do a vegetable and herb garden. Our dirt is tough and strewn with nearby tree roots, so I made a raised planter box.


First I had to measure the size garden box I wanted for my limited space and determine exact location. Next I had to consider the water source for this area. We have an existing drip system, so I added some drip lines that would exclusively water this garden box.

Materials needed:
  • Wood planks, cut to size (5'x20" was my box area size)
  • L-shape hardware brackets (8 - 2 each x 4 corners)
  • Screw driver (electric tool makes it easy)
Redwood is the preferable wood for outdoor garden boxes. Redwood can be more expensive but the box frame will endure, lasting much longer by withstanding the outdoor elements better over time. However, my local lumber store did not have 12" wide redwood strips in stock at the time.  I wanted a taller box out of one width of wood, plus I wanted to purchase materials and build my garden box the same day, so I settled for using pine wood to achieve my 12" garden box height.  Please note that pine will erode over time, but I only need this garden for one or two summer seasons, as we will eventually re-landscape the back yard.  So pine will suffice for my short-term gardening project. 
Home Depot cut the wood to my desired length at no charge (such a deal), resulting in two 12" wide strips of both 20" and 5' lengths.  This will give me a 20"W x 5'L x 12"H finished box.
You will need 8 braces total to secure the garden box corners with 2 braces per corner.  I purchased 2 packages of L-shape corner braces (4 per bracket).  You can use wider braces, but I do not need this box to endure more than 1-2 summer seasons, so I went the cheap route. Any width brace will work, depending on how long you want your garden box to last.


Secure the brace on the end of one plank by screwing it approximately 3" from the edge of your wood's width.  Repeat approximately 3" from the opposite width's end, so there are two braces on the end as pictured below.  Repeat this on both interior ends of each 5' plank. Note: once you fill the finished planter box with dirt, these braces will be covered by the dirt.


Next you need to connect the 5' piece to the 20" end by drilling screws into existing L-shape brace onto the 20" end.  Make sure to connect so that ends are even, but they still look good if they're not perfect.

Repeat on all inside corners until you have created your 4-sided box.



Here is the end view.


Next you're ready to put the garden box in your yard.


Make sure to place the drip lines under the box, so the lines will be hidden in the soil and not drape over the garden box exterior.

Fill the garden box with soil and compost and you're ready to plant your herbs and vegetables.


I added the the ends of my drip line once my herbs were planted, to specifically direct water spray to each plant.  I also planted some seeds amidst the started herbs, so my garden will bloom in stages over the summer.


Looking forward to cooking with these herbs and vegetables all summer.




1 comment:

Janet said...

I love your gardening skills, and can't wait to see how they are growing, you have a GREEN thumb!!

Post a Comment