Saturday, August 31, 2013

Olive Tapenade

This is such a yummy recipe ... especially for someone who does not really care much for olives in anything!  I actually remove olives on pizzas by hand before eating!!


I discovered this original recipe from Former Chef after searching Google for a tapenade recipe (blog also gives instructions to roast a pepper).  This is great as an appetizer on toasted crostini, crackers or any fresh bread.  I rub freshly cut garlic cloves and a little olive oil on cut crostini and bake for 20 minutes at 250, turning bread once.


OLIVE TAPENADE
(I slightly varied the recipe, but you can pretty much use quantities you have on hand)
  • 1 C Kalamata olives, pitted
  • 1.5 - 2 C Green olives, pitted (I LOVE canned Graber Olives)
  • 1 Red bell pepper; roasted & peeled
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1-2 Tbl fresh Italian parsley
  • 1-2 Tbl fresh basil
  • Juice of half a lemon (or whole lemon, depending on size)
  • 3-4 Tbl good olive oil
  • Salt to taste
Finely chop all ingredients (food processor works great), stir in lemon juice and olive oil.  Salt to taste & serve.  Keep refrigerated up to one week in air tight container.

I grew up on Graber Olives, as their 1894 business started in Ontario, California and both my sisters worked at the Graber Olive House during high school.  I always keep some cans on hand and also just enjoy them plain out of the can.

Olive tapenade also makes a great hostess gift.  When we're going to a friend's for dinner, I bring it wrapped in an 8-oz mason jar, so we don't arrive empty handed.
Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment